Wednesday, April 8, 2009

What is your occupation???

What is my occupation is something I get asked alot. Whether it's a Dr.'s form I'm filling out, a fun survey that I got emailed, or just someone random.

What do I do for a living?

Me being the smarty pants that I can be (gasp!) will sometimes answer "I'm the COO of a company that is in the developmental stages" (I read this in an email once that some lady at the DMV actually did this and I've loved it ever since) or I can say "I am the Vice President of a marketing firm that's looking to develop ideal principals in the general public" You get were I'm going...I'm not avoiding the truth, I'm avoiding the "ah I see, your just a mom" look we get.



JUST A MOM????????????????? Seriously, I'd love to throw something at these knuckleheads! Hello!!! Who do you think took care of you? Who do you think kept you alive to be able to look at me and say I'm "just a mom".



But yes, I'm just a mom. A mom who has been blessed by God to be given three children...two girls of my own flesh and one sweet little boy who, while he belongs to another woman, I love as my own. But JUST a mom???? I don't think so!!!



We, as a society, don't realize the importance of being a mom. We don't realize as women, we are the most blessed of creatures. We often don't realize the importance of the little beings that we are molding. We see ourselves in a "season" of time. A season that moves way too fast some day's, and seems never ending in others. It's a season of joy, hardship, laughter and tears. It's a season that will last the rest of our lives, as we watch our hearts leave our body's and become young women and men who will have their hearts leave their body's too one day. It's the greatest blessing there can ever be!



But don't EVER tell me I'm just a mom!!! I'm a mentor, a best friend, a disciplinarian, a cook, a nurse, a comforter, a jungle gym (till daddy gets home anyways) a story teller, a teacher, a playmate, a source of undeniable love. I'm so much more than just a mom. I'm a life source to these kids, I'm a companion to these kids, I am LOVE to these kids.



Now, do I always LIKE being a mom? Heck no! Some day's I just want to pack up, say I'm done, and leave. There are day's that I just want to be left alone, day's I don't want to play with dolls, day's that if I read one more story, have one more pretend lunch, one more argument, one more time of repeating myself and having to be a mom, I will loose it. These are dark day's. They are the day's that I'm thankful that I don't have to it alone. No, I'm not talking about the dad's, although I'd be lying if I didn't say I watched the clock some day's and think "he'll be home any time and I can have a break". No, I'm talking about the fact that I'm not in this Mom business alone, I have a Great Source that I can turn to. I have my Heavenly Parent. The One that likes to use my children as a lesson for me. My Lord and Savior, MY source of comfort! The One I can turn to when I'm done. Thank you God!!!

He's the one, who when I'm done, when I'm ready to turn my back and leave, reminds me of what an important job He's given me. He's the one who entrusted me with these lives. He's the one who when I cry out and don't know what to do, will come running every time I cry, just like I do when one of my kids cry....I run to them.
He's the one who tells me, "what would you do, where would you be if I quit on you?" Up a creek with out a paddle and screwed beyond belief is where I would be!!!!
Where would I be with out God? I know where I was a few years ago, and I never, EVER want to go back there again!
Where would my kids be without me? This is the answer to my question....I'm not just a mom am I? I AM the hands and feet of Jesus with these kids. I AM the lesson that God is using to teach them how to be strong, faithful women and men. I AM being molded and formed into God's image through these kids. I AM their Shepperd, they know MY voice. I AM teaching them to know our Lord and Savior through my actions, through my thoughts, through my life. I AM being used in a way that is the greatest blessing to ever think of...raising God's most precious gift...my children.
I AM so much more than just a mom.

1 comment:

  1. Well said. I am guilty of saying "just a mom", no more.... Thanks for the reminder Christy.:)

    ReplyDelete